Legal Issues

There are a number of legal issues that we will discuss; these relate specifically to proof of identity and your marital status.

Most important at this stage, is the completion of the Notice of Intention to Marry, which must be lodged with the celebrant at least one month before your wedding date (but not longer than 18 months before).

I can provide you with the form, known as the NOIM, or you can download one from the Australian Government Attorney-General’s Department website

As an Australian citizen, you will need to provide your celebrant with either your original Birth Certificate or your Australian Passport as proof of date and place of birth.

If you do not have a passport or a birth certificate, you must contact the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the state where you were born to obtain a certified copy. You may also need photo ID such as your driver’s licence.

If you are not an Australian citizen, you will need to provide your original birth certificate or your passport which must show your name, date of birth, and place of birth. If this is not on your passport, you will need to get proof of these details such as an official birth certificate.

Other documents might be required, depending on the circumstances (eg If you are divorced, widowed or have had a change of name).

If your documents are in a foreign language, you must have them translated by an official NAATI, translator (National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters).

Last but not least, under Australian Law, there is certain wording which you and I must include in the ceremony for the marriage to be valid.

Of course, I will guide you through all this and ensure you have the right documentation when you are completing the NOIM – and I will include the required wording in the ceremony to comply with the law.